Time for a Change
The pandemic has greatly affected minority groups, especially the Black community. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showcase how racial inequities such as access to health care and finance make racial minority groups more prone to catching COVID-19. Furthermore, many Black people tend to occupy essential work jobs that expose them further to the virus, such as when working in public transportation and grocery stores. These occupations also may not allow employees to work from home or have paid sick days.
However, it is time for a change. Many businesses have been hit hard due to the pandemic, but some companies are changing their entire business model, strategy, and branding. These modifications have led to an increase in revenue, clients, and success. It is vital to adapt to changing times and come up with creative ideas to draw in customers and stay relevant.
The New Digital Space
There are many opportunities to seize in the digital space as a virtual entrepreneur. Working from home can give Black men more freedom to lead their business in their own way. Additional benefits include:
- Making the most of your time: Virtual entrepreneurs no longer have to waste time commuting for hours every day and getting delayed due to traffic or accidents that regularly occur. There are fewer distractions to deal with, and you can make sound decisions in shorter meetings and give employees more freedom to empower themselves. You can also create your own schedule and customize your office space to be at your best work mindset.
- Gaining business through social media outlets: Gone are the days of handing out flyers and posting news on bulletin boards. Now you can reach millions of prospective clients through social media posts and ads. You can do so on LinkedIn, Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Updates and business information can spread like wildfire and communicating with customers can take just a few minutes. You can announce new events and products via e-newsletters and website updates as well.
- Relocating finances: You can save thousands of dollars on office rent and equipment and use that money to invest in your online business. Without having to pay for such overhead, you can splurge on rebranding, servicing clients, and developing innovative creations. When you have a reliable product and a loyal following, you can continue to grow and organically reach new clients.
Make a Seamless Transition
To successfully run your online business, make sure you have the following:
- Project management tools: To communicate with employees, you can use platforms such as Slack and Zoom. Slack is used by many companies to send group and private messages, keep track of meeting notes, and refer to answers based on previously asked questions. Zoom allows for large and small group conference calls, which comes equipped with recording, chat, and breakout session features. You can also personally see your team and come together to share ideas via the share screen and polling options.
- Data Storage: It is essential to have a live database to keep all of your important files, documents, and paperwork stored and secured. Examples include implementing cloud sharing, Google Drive, or using Dropbox. Cloud storage lets you send files to a data server, which forwards such information to other servers. Google Drive can share larger files, such as photos and videos of marketing campaigns and advertising logos. Dropbox stores files, audits sharing activities and transfers data amongst users.
- Open Communication: In this day and age, it is vital to have your customers regularly see what you as a company are doing. Post several times each week on social media, blog posts, and emails. Share pictures of what products you’re offering, but also share news events on how you’re helping the community at large and what opportunities you’re exploring. Highlight leaders you’re meeting with and exciting new projects you’re embarking on. Be transparent and let your customers be involved with your day to day operations.
Being able to run your own business and do so remotely has never been more accessible. Black men can run their dream business online and reach a vast number of people across the globe. It’s time to take advantage of this new digital space and become a virtual entrepreneur!